Small Diameter Circumferential Weld Inspection
Circumferential butt welds are found in various structures including
small diameter tubes in boilers. Experts inspect the tubes to locate
defects which could result in the failure of a component, possibly
inducing a human or environmental hazard.
When NDT inspection of circumferential butt welds are performed
manually, it is difficult to meet the required standards on safety,
measurement precision, reliability, and quality data management.
New or repaired welds are usually inspected by radiography however
the technology requires evacuation of the workers on site and
considerable time for developing the radiographic films.
Weld assessment of difficult-to-access, small diameter pipes.
BHGE Inspection Technologies field-proven PALM scanners can
inspect pipes of diameters from 1.5” up to 3.5”. The scanners are
easily adaptable with various wedges and phased array probes to
meet inspection procedures regardless of tube thickness, material or
The PALM scanner uses laterally focused array probes with concave
curvature in elevation; the probe design optimizes the ultrasonic
beam focus on the surface and increases lateral defect resolution
compared to unfocused probes.
The wedges are designed with integrated irrigation channels for
consistent couplant feed and all the curvatures are crafted to fit
the PALM scanner.
Pricing available upon request
Key Features & Equipment Used
• Palm Scanner App on the Mentor UT provides a guided workflow to
standardize and reduce time for calibration and set-up of inspection
• Touch screen operation for fast & easy interrogation of suspect areas
• Compact, rigid and lightweight with easy access for gaps as narrow
as 12 mm (0.47 inches)
• Optimum spring-loaded open clamp system with no axial slip
• Fast and easy movement between measurements
• Suitable for ferromagnetic and non-ferromagnetic pipes
• Mentor UT Phased Array Flaw Detector - P/N 100N3883
• PALM 50 Package for pipe diameter 1.5” to 2.0” (38 mm to 50 mm)
• PALM 64 Package for pipe diameter 2.0” to 2.5” (50 mm to 64 mm)
• PALM 90 Package for pipe diameter 2.5” to 3.5” (64 mm to 90 mm)
GE Updates XL Series of Video Borescopes for Remote Visual Inspection
New feature updates to versatile, industry-proven utility VideoProbe™
GE Brings Digital Solutions to Nondestructive Testing (NDT) Industry
Mentor UT™ Improves Productivity with the Power of Apps and Live Wireless Collaboration...
GE Launches the TransPort® PT900 Portable Ultrasonic Flow Meter
Clamp-On Meter Offers Improved Ease of Use, Durability and Low Cost of Ownership
BILLERICA, MA – March 30, 2017 ...
GE Releases Advanced Calibrator and HART/Foundation Fieldbus Communicator to Provide Greater Productivity in Hazardous Areas in the Process Industry
Latest Intrinsically Safe Druck DPI620 Genii IS offers world-class measurement and calibration with ATEX and IECEx Approvals
Looking for software, a brochure, or a manual?
Visit the download center to find documents and software related to our products.