Power Generation - Control Upgrades
GE Upgrades and Automates Vintage Equipment for Improved Performance
A leading U.S. power company owns and operates 53 power generating units.
A leading U.S. power company's New York facility was in a reinvestment period, which included upgrading 1950s turbines. The existing mechanical hydraulic turbine control (MHC) and analog automatic voltage regulators (AVRs) were past their intended life cycles. The facility operators were concerned with the increasing maintenance, ongoing reliability and support for unit controls.
GE AS PART OF THE SOLUTION
GE conducted an upgrade of the MHC to a Mark VIe control system with Triple Modular Redundant (TMR) architecture and TMR field instrumentation for trip inputs. The upgrade also included mechanical modifications to facilitate the removal of the MHC controls. A key component to GE's success and support of the customer's long-term plant documentation of the new system was GE's engineering design package, which included:
- Existing plant drawings that are affected by the upgrade
- Details the modifications to the existing drawings
- Cable/conduit/tray/power details needed for the new equipment
- "As-installed" versions of the new systems integrated into the plant
The site team was pleased with the design package and noted it was a lacking component on a previous upgrade of a non-GE machine with another vendor.
- A new Hydraulic Power Unit (HPU) to supply high pressure fluid to new valve actuators
- An on-line testable and maintainable 2-out-of-3 Trip Manifold Assembly (TMA) which supports removal of overspeed protection bolts
- Three EX2100e AVRs supporting HP, LP, and Spare excitation controls
- A steam seal regulator and other TMR speed, temperature, and pressure sensing instrumentation
Download Case Study
Control Upgrades - Power...
Indonesia Power's Tambak Lorok plant, the leading power producer in the country, chooses GE to retrofit outdated DCS technology.Lesen Sie mehr
Wenden Sie sich an uns
Kontaktieren Sie uns und erfahren Sie mehr darüber, wie wir die Zukunft der Industrie gestalten mit Hilfe unserer digitalen Produkte, unserer Software und unseren Servicelösungen.